Milton Keynes, UK
Bourke Street Public School
Enrolments at the school in Surry Hills, which is a rapidly growing area for young families, have nearly doubled from 2013 with over 400 students enrolled at project completion. The school was handed over to the client in December 2016 and was occupied by students and teachers on schedule on day 1 of the first term in 2017.
The GFA of 1,900m2 comprises a new two-storey modular building and newly fitted-out areas within the existing heritage buildings, and includes:
- New flexible learning spaces
- New dedicated library space
- A new timber-decked multipurpose hall/community centre
- Modern landscaped areas with a sports court, playground equipment and learning games
- Covered walkway spaces between the heritage buildings and the new modular building
- Refurbishment of existing heritage home bases and upgrades to staff amenities
The new building has been designed and constructed to artfully blend in with the surrounding historically significant terrace housing and heritage-listed sandstone buildings and walls dating back to 1883.
Currie & Brown was engaged as project manager for:
- Development of the site masterplan
- Educational planning principles
- Design and documentation
- Statutory approval processes and superintendence of all contracts on behalf of School Infrastructure New South Wales
Significant challenges with ground conditions had to be overcome, including those following the discovery under the playground of air raid shelters built during the Second World War.