Cranfield University campus masterplan
Cranfield University is a world-leading teaching and research institution with two main campuses and an exciting programme of capital projects.
They have set a challenging target of reducing their carbon footprint by 50% by 2020, which is the most ambitious target in the UK university sector.
The masterplan is intended to provide an overarching development strategy for the Cranfield campus, which is the main centre of activity and the primary entry point for students, staff and commercial partners. The masterplan aims to provide a framework for physical changes and development opportunities for the campus over a period of 20 years.
In addition to refurbishment projects, the masterplan includes new construction of an Intelligent Mobility Engineering Centre (IMEC), the Facility for Airborne Atmospheric Measurements (FAAM) offices and the Aerospace Integration Research Centre (AIRC).
One key project within the masterplan is the Multi-User Environment for Autonomous Vehicle Innovation (MUEAVI), which will create an integrated local and national asset for research for connected and autonomous vehicles and serve as the arterial road for the university.
Currie & Brown was appointed to provide project management and CDM services to deliver Cranfield University’s masterplan. The full range of services includes:
- Reviewing the capital plan and providing a clear project brief
- Developing a procurement strategy
- Developing a programme for the delivery of the work package(s)
- Supporting town planning submissions
- Arranging site investigations and making recommendations
- Making recommendations regarding consultant appointments and their scope of work
- Establishing formal communication procedures and hierarchy
- Assisting in feasibility studies
- Confirming the final brief, budget and draft programme
- Undertaking risk and value engineering workshops
- Arranging for lifecycle costs, BREEAM and energy assessments to be undertaken
- Establishing rigorous cost control procedures in conjunction with the university cost consultants
- Establishing rigorous management procedures
- Leading regular meetings with stakeholders
- Co-ordinating the production of design work
- Preparing information for pre-tender documentation
- Arranging and managing site visits with contractors
- Undertaking value engineering when necessary
- Providing monthly reports
- Acting as the liaison between the client and other stakeholders
- Carrying out contract administration duties
- Checking all relevant health and safety documentation
- Arranging for appropriate certificates to be issued following completion
- Preparing a completion report
- Arranging for all defects to be rectified
Our breadth and depth of experience in project management will ensure smooth execution of the projects across the campus-wide development.