Princess Noura University
Saudi Arabia’s Princess Noura Bint Abdulrahman University (PNU) is the world’s largest university for women, and one of the ten largest universities in the world.
The campus is 8,000,000m2 with a built-up area of approximately 3,000,000m2 and has a population of 60,000 students in addition to faculty. The academic campus is 400,000m2 and is made up of ten faculties. The health sciences campus covers 200,000m2 and consists of six faculties. The medical centre area sits on 107,000m2 of land and offers a full range of medical services. In addition to these areas, the campus includes:
- An administration block
- Central library with over five million volumes
- The Grand Mosque
- Convention centre with a large hall (capacity of 3,000) and a smaller hall
- K-12 girls’ and boys’ schools for the children of faculty and staff
- Two residential areas for staff and three for students and medical faculty
- Community centre with 30,000m2 of indoor and outdoor recreational space
- A stadium with capacity for 7,000 people
- An automated people mover system with 14 stations
Additionally, a 214,000m2 service zone sits on the westernmost boundary and the 77,500m2 warehouse will have its roof retrofitted with a solar panel farm capable of providing enough power to cover the space heating and hot water requirements of the whole campus.
The entire campus is LEED certified, including twelve LEED-registered projects, four of which are LEED Gold buildings. The project’s ability to achieve LEED certification is particularly impressive given the challenging desert environment of the site.
Currie & Brown acted as the interim director of facilities management after construction was completed. To prepare for this role we carried out the initial work to set up systems before transitioning to the ongoing tasks of facilities management.
By working closely with the client and the on-site support team, Currie & Brown was able to challenge the client’s brief and improve several areas of facilities management, including:
- Environmental and sustainability practices
- Communication and organisation
- Health and safety protocols
- Relationship building
- Risk management